Knowledge about digital marketing is crucial in this day and age. It’s not just enough that you know it has something to do with the internet. Your competitors are catching up, and you need to learn the game too…
Table of Contents
What is Digital Marketing?
This is simple right? Digital marketing is just that branch of marketing that uses electronic media or the internet as channels for a company’s marketing efforts. Digital marketing agencies like ours use these channels to communicate with current and potential customers.
Why is Digital Marketing Important to your Business?
You can reach an enormous audience in a way that is both cost-effective and measurable. Digital marketing is way better than it’s more expensive, traditional marketing counterparts that do not reap such great results.
This means that 98% of the UAE’s population uses the internet on a daily basis. That is great potential!! Digital marketing paves the way for your business to reach a massive audience in a way that is not only cost-effective but measurable as well.
Here’s another way to look at it. Digital marketing helps level the playing field.
20 years ago, the primary channels of marketing were tv, billboards, radio, and so on. These channels were mainly for those large companies that could afford them. Now, any business can effectively reach their audience, and interact with them, regardless of how small they are.
Digital channels such as email, social media platforms, SEO, and so on, are not only better targeted to your audience, but also provide an advanced level of analytics. It is also much easier to scale and adapt your marketing efforts to what works.
What are the Types of Digital Marketing Channels?
Here are the types of digital marketing channels that you can leverage for your business.
Let’s dive in, shall we? Below mentioned are the various organic digital marketing methods.
Search Engine Optimisation is the art of featuring your webpages as high as possible on relevant searches. All of this is organic, meaning you don’t have to spend a dime on SEO. Instead, you optimize your website, pages, and articles, using various techniques to ensure that your website features as a top result when relevant keywords are searched.
Here are a few things to keep in mind for good SEO on your webpages:
- Find relevant keywords with good search traffic potential.
- Create and optimize pages for search engines and users alike.
- Make sure your website is accessible to both bots and humans.
- Build relevant links from other high-quality websites, as well as to other internal pages.
- Track your rankings as well as organic traffic.
Content marketing is about creating useful content for your audience in order to attract them and to build brand credibility. The idea is to provide information about your industry and other points of interest, that can eventually lead to a purchase.
Steps to successfully market your content:
- Start With The Buyer Persona
- Brainstorm Possible Topics
- Do Your Keyword Research
- Come Up With Topic Categories
- Organize Content Into Topic Clusters
- Write Pillar Content To Build Your Authority
Read more about Content Marketing for B2B Marketers.
Various social media platforms can be used to market your brand to an increasingly large audience. For B2B marketers especially, LinkedIn is a wonderful and engaging platform. You can use these platforms for directly advertising your products or, more powerfully, for publishing content relevant to your brand that entertains, teaches, and drives interaction with your audience.
Steps to build your social media marketing strategy:
- Set meaningful social marketing goals
- Research your target audience
- Establish your most important metrics
- Analyze your competition
- Create and curate engaging content
- Make timeliness a top priority
- Assess your results and optimize
- Communicate goals, challenges and wins with your team
Get your free social media cheat sheet.
According to HubSpot, “email marketing is the practice of sending various types of content to a list of subscribers via email. This content can serve to generate website traffic, leads, or even product signups.”
(This is what our emails look like)
Tips for an effective email marketing campaign:
- Use a comprehensive email builder.
- Include personalization elements in the copy and excellent imagery.
- Add an appropriate call-to-action.
- Make sure it’s designed for all devices.
Online PR involves earning honest customer reviews and gaining high-quality backlinks from websites and online publications. It helps you reach your target audience on platforms they visit, such as the websites they frequent, or podcasts they listen to.
Most common types of online PR strategy are:
- Publishing articles online to gain high-quality backlinks.
- Networking with journalists and editors to gain backlinks.
- Publishing press releases and syndicating newsworthy content to earn press features.
- Blogger outreach to gain backlinks and mentions on relevant blogs.
- Influencer marketing to gain mentions on influential social media accounts.
- Affiliate programmes that pay a commission to bloggers who refer customers to your business.
- Offline press events or blogger events that aim to gain online coverage.
- Sharing and syndicating infographics.
Moving on, these are the paid forms of digital marketing…
Pay-Per-Click marketing is basically a paid version of SEO. Instead of optimizing your webpages to rank high on searches, you bid for advertising space for certain keywords on search engines. Each advertisement bidding on a space is given an AdRank to determine if the ad should be placed and where.
Aspects to prioritize in order to attain a higher AdRank:
- Bid amount
- Quality of advert
- Formats (including various extensions)
- Expected clickthrough rate (CTR)
Affiliate marketers sell your products to their audience. Working with affiliates can help you to expand your reach substantially. Affiliates have access to large audiences, so getting on board with one is a fantastic opportunity. As referrals are already a part of B2B marketing, this can be seen as an extension of it.
5 things that help maximize your affiliate marketing ROI:
- Invest your time in recruiting the right affiliates.
- Offer enough motivation for your affiliates.
- Use affiliate marketing to boost your lead generation.
- Gather enough resources to make it successful.
- Ensure that your affiliates understand your sales cycle.
Native advertising is basically paid content. The only difference from ads is that it blends with the organic content very well. It aligns with the publication or site’s established editorial style and tone, and also provides the kind of information that the publication’s audience typically expects.
Steps to building a native advertising campaign:
- Define your goals.
- Determine the target audience you wish to reach, and which publishers to approach.
- Choose your content.
- Set your ad campaign budget.
- A/B test different combinations until you get the best performing content.
Marketing automation is the use of software in order to automate certain repetitive marketing tasks. This can vary from lead nurturing to personalizing marketing messages and content, depending on your company and industry.
There are four steps to complete in order to successfully implement marketing automation:
- Identify The Right Tasks
- Select The Appropriate Automation Software
- Train Your Team
- Evaluate Automation Effectiveness
Account-based Marketing is a focused growth strategy in which Marketing and Sales collaborate to create personalized buying experiences for a mutually-identified set of high-value accounts (Source: Hubspot). It helps you ensure that your marketing and sales efforts are in alignment with each other.
(Ubrik ABM lists created on Sales Navigator)
A few ABM tactics are:
- Secure organizational ABM alignment.
- Build your ABM team.
- Identify and pick your ideal set of target accounts.
- Encourage Marketing and Sales to create account plans together.
- Attract contacts from high-quality accounts.
- Forge strong relationships with the account’s buying committee.
- Measure and analyze your ABM results (and make necessary iterations).
A chatbot is an artificial intelligence (AI) software that can simulate a conversation (or a chat) with a user in natural language through messaging applications, websites, mobile apps or through the telephone. They interpret and process the user requests and give prompt relevant answers.
Here’s how to build your very first chatbot:
- Define your business objectives
- Choose the right channel to engage with your customers
- Train your bot for giving the right response
- Give your bot a voice and personality
- Create a balanced approach
- Test, launch, and iterate
- You can choose to use a chatbot platform or build one from scratch.
How to Build a Digital Marketing Strategy?
#1 Build a Detailed Competitive Analysis
The first step towards building a digital marketing strategy is to understand the competition, It is necessary to know what you’re up against and to accommodate that knowledge into your strategy. Competitive analysis is a way to identify competitors, and understand competitor’s strengths and weaknesses in relation to your company, and helps you understand what your customers expect from you.
Ubrik builds a personalized competitive landscape for all our clients based on our On-boarding and Buyer Persona exercises. This is how our buyer persona workshop for Atlas Copco was done.
#2 Determine Your Buyer’s Journey
We believe that you should target your customers based on a ‘flywheel approach’. This consists of three critical stages:
Attract – Turning Strangers into Visitors
Inbound marketing strategies that attract your target audience and buyer personas are tied to content creation and development.
Engage – Converting Visitors into Leads and then into Customers
When using inbound strategies to engage your audience, ensure you’re communicating and dealing with leads and customers in a way that makes them want to build long-term relationships with you.
Delight – Shaping Customers into Promoters
Delighting inbound strategies ensure customers are happy, satisfied, and supported long after they make a purchase.
#3 Develop a Digital Marketing Strategy
This is the part where you take your understanding of your competitors and your customers into account to develop attracting, engaging and delighting strategies for your business. See what platforms you will use, and what types of digital marketing is needed for your specific company.
The strategy is based on the OKRs principle, which is:
- Objectives: “Where do I want to go?”
- Key Results: “How do I get there?”
For each platform or medium you choose, develop the objectives you wish to achieve and the key results that will determine that you have achieved each of those objectives. Read our case study on Atlas Copco to know more about objectives, and processes we follow to achieve those objectives.
#4 Create a Cost Strategy
Based on the digital marketing strategy, create a detailed cost strategy that will help you understand how much you can spend on each aspect of your strategy. It is important to make sure you have a budget and that you stick to it.
#5 Brainstorm Plans and Campaigns
Okay, so now you know what platforms are included in your strategy and how much you will be spending on each. It is time to think about campaigns and plans on how that strategy will be taking place. Remember, this is a brainstorming session, there could be various plans and campaigns that you might have thought of and would like to discuss with the team.
#6 Develop an Execution Plan
Finally, develop an execution plan for your strategy. Keep your key results in mind, as well as your budget and manpower. See what can be done and by when, and create a calendar with a deadline and milestones to ensure that you stay on track.
#7 Execute the Plan and Monitor Results
This is where the actual hands-on work happens. No more thinking and discussions. You now have a clear and detailed execution plan, it is up to you to execute it. Follow the calendar and keep an eye out the key results you had mentioned earlier. If you aren’t being able to achieve those results, then it looks like your strategy needs to be tweaked a little bit.
We hope you now have an idea of the range of options available to you, and how to develop a digital marketing strategy. Each firm is unique in its own way and there’s no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to this.
Now that we’ve covered all the basics you need to know, let’s share the story about how we helped Juma Al Majid transform digitally and how that turned out! Visit our case study to know more!!